Wednesday, October 3, 2012

From the Top of the World (or Utah Valley at least...)

As I had mentioned in a previous post, Danny's internship group took us on many adventures this summer.  But none as crazy as this!  We reached the summit of Mount Timpanogos!  It was the hardest most physically demanding thing I have ever done.  We began at hiking at 7am and reached the end of the trail at 7pm.  12 HOURS OF HIKING!  I am by no means physically fit so it sure did a number on my body.  Here are just some of the many pictures we took:

That little green splotch in the valley is Aspen Grove Family Camp

Me and my explorer hat, bandanna, camel back, and hiking poles!

Danny looking at ease...

Crossing a beautiful hidden meadow 

An actually mountain spring with fresh water!  Freezing cold!

Danny looking on at Emerald Lake

We had to cross an ice field.  It was very slippery and scary

On the saddle, looking up towards the summit

The Summit!  We did it!  

Standing on the tiny space with mile drop offs on either side

On the way back, my toes really hurt.  I ended up falling behind the rest of the group (Danny stayed with me of course) but I knew something was wrong.  However, when you are on the side of a mountain, the only thing you can do is keep going!  When we got back to the car, I whipped my shoes off to find my socks covered in blood.  I lost 3 toenails to the mountain.  

The very next day we took a road trip to Boise for a family reunion.  I could hardly walk or move my legs at all.  And of course my toes were in really bad shape!  
When we got to Boise, Dr. Craft (My Father-In-Law) did a little procedure by using a soldering-like iron and burned a little hole in my remaining toenails to relieve pressure.  And what a relief it was!  

All in all, I am glad I did it and I am proud of myself for that accomplishment.  

11,749 Feet.  I did it!




No comments:

Post a Comment